More Disclosures in Media Hacking Case
- September 15, 2011
- by PInow.com Staff
- In the News
ENGLAND -- The Independent has obtained reports which show that authorities have known for eight years about the ways that media outlets use private investigators. The lead investigator in the Operation Motorman was also told that he was not allowed to interview media professionals who were paying for illegal investigative services. However, the reports also suggest that use of private investigators is more widespread than initially reported, with the Sunday Express, News International, Best, Trinity Mirror, and National Magazine Company accused of using private investigators to dig up personal information for news stories. Express Newspapers has released a statement saying that it never told private investigators to secure information in an illegal way. Some investigators have claimed that 2003s Operation Motorman was not hard-hitting enough, since investigators were not allowed to pursue all areas of inquiry. Private investigator Stephen Whittamore and three other private investigators had information and files seized, but they were granted conditional discharges in 2005. No charges were filed against journalists were charged at the time and victims were not informed that they had been targeted.
To read the full article, click here.